Intent – What do we want children to learn?
In the Hollesley and Waldringfield Partnership we use Cornerstones Curriculum. We have a themed topic each term, driven by the wonderful opportunities presented through a specific focus subject area which is supported through our literary texts and our writing curriculum. It is our intention that all pupils, irrelevant of needs, make sense of their world through opportunities to explore, observe and find out about:
- Life Processes and Living Things
- Materials and their Properties
- Physical Processes
and are also given ample opportunities to work scientifically.
Through science we aim to support this philosophy by:
- Providing a sequence of knowledge and concepts that develop secure understanding to progress to the next stage.
- Building up an extended specialist vocabulary.
- Applying their mathematical knowledge to their understanding of science, including collecting, presenting and analysing data.
- Using a “hands on” active approach which sparks children’s and teacher’s enthusiasm and interest and deepens their understanding.